Tuesday 13 March 2012

Second Day of Placement

Today I was thrown in at the deep end, when the upper KS2 teacher was sent home sick at the very beginning of the school day. I was asked to teach the foundation and Year One class, without prep time or any planning! This really was a sink or swim morning. Luckily I swam. The children are a very difficult group as it comprises of 19 boys and 8 girls. They are very active with emotional and behavioural disabilities, including biting, spitting and screaming. I had two LSA's to manage, and I could not have asked for better help- they automatically let me control, whilst still supporting me through the day.
By the end of the morning the children responded well to me and I was able to successfully manage the class.
When I get back to university I want to research some more techniques to help with behaviour management, they are a tough crowd and need some creative strategies to get them on task. Today I brought in the idea of a happy side to the board as the children only had their names put on the board for bad behaviour. The children responded well to this and I was able to curb some possible bad behaviour as a result. I will definitely use this technique in the future. I did make sure I was in line with their behaviour policy, however I will still check with the class teacher in the morning If it is ok.

No comments:

Post a Comment